Masonry and the Order of the Eastern Star are fraternal organizations that have been around for centuries. They are based on principles of brotherhood, charity, and service to others. Becoming a Mason or member of the Eastern Star is a great way to get involved in your community and to make lasting friendships. The process for becoming a Mason or Eastern Star is straightforward, but it does require that you meet certain criteria and complete a few steps. In this article, we will discuss the requirements for becoming a Mason or Eastern Star, as well as the application process.
Masonry and the Eastern Star are two separate organizations that have a common origin. Masonry is an organization of men, known as Freemasons, who are united in a fraternal bond based on the values of friendship, morality, and brotherly love. The Eastern Star is an auxiliary organization of Masonry, open to both men and women. It is composed of husbands and wives of Masons, as well as adult daughters and sons of Masons. The Eastern Star also embraces similar values to those of the Masonic order: truth, faith, charity, and justice.
Requirements to Become a Mason or Eastern Star Member
Becoming a Mason or Eastern Star Member is a rewarding experience, but there are several requirements that must be met before you can be accepted. Here are the steps that must be taken to become a member:
- Be of mature age – Generally, applicants must 18 years of age or older.
- Have a belief in a Supreme Being – Applicants must have faith in some form of Supreme Being.
- Be of good moral character and reputation – Applicants should have strong moral character and reputation within their community.
- Be recommended by two Master Masons – An applicant should be recommended by two Master Masons who can vouch for his/her character.
- Undergo an investigation – Each applicant will go through an investigation to verify their identity and character.
- Attend meetings and classes – All members must attend meetings and classes to learn the principles of Freemasonry.
- Pay dues – Members will need to pay annual dues. The amount varies by lodge.
Once all the requirements have been met and approved, the applicant will be initiated into the lodge. Becoming a Mason or Eastern Star Member is an amazing journey that can open many doors for its members. It is also full of honor, respect, and camaraderie. By becoming a member, you will gain access to many opportunities and resources offered through Freemasonry.
Joining a Masonic Lodge or Order of the Eastern Star
Are you looking to become part of a Masonic Lodge or Order of the Eastern Star? Joining these organizations can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Here are some steps to help you get started:
• Research: Before joining any organization, it’s important to research their mission, beliefs, and values. Learn about the history of the organization and their current activities. Reach out to current members for more information.
• Qualifications: Most Masons must be over 18 years old, have two recommendations from current Masons, and profess a belief in a Supreme Being. The qualifications for joining the Order of the Eastern Star may vary by state.
• Application: Once you’ve determined that you meet all qualifications, fill out an application form with your personal information. A background check may also be required in some cases.
• Interview: Depending on your state’s requirements, you may need to participate in an interview with a committee or panel before being accepted into the organization.
• Initiation: If your application is approved, you will then go through an initiation ceremony to become a member. During this ceremony, you will take oaths and receive symbols and passwords unique to your new fraternity or sorority.
Becoming a Mason or member of the Order of the Eastern Star is not only an honor but also an opportunity to make lasting connections with people from diverse backgrounds who share similar values and beliefs.
After researching, applying, interviewing and finally being initiated into one of these organizations, you’ll be well on your way to unlocking new opportunities and experiences!
What is the Difference Between a Mason and an Eastern Star?
Masonry and the Order of the Eastern Star are both fraternal organizations with common goals, but there are distinct differences between them. The two organizations have separate membership eligibility requirements, rituals, and symbols. Masonry is a fraternal organization open to men aged 18 or older, while the Order of the Eastern Star is open to both men and women.
Masons have a long history that dates back to 1717 in London, England. Commonly referred to as Freemasonry, Masonry is a fraternal organization that encourages its members to practice morality and justice. It also serves as a network for its members to support each other.
The Order of the Eastern Star was founded in 1850 by Dr. Robert Morris, a Mason from Kentucky. This organization is focused on charitable works and uses Bible stories to teach moral lessons. It also has rituals that incorporate five heroines from the Bible: Adah, Ruth, Esther, Martha, and Electa. The Order of the Eastern Star is open to both men and women who are related to Masons or have been accepted into an affiliated youth organization.
The symbols associated with Masonry include tools like compasses and squares that represent moral values such as truthfulness and fairness. The symbols associated with the Order of the Eastern Star include stars with five points which represent Adah, Ruth, Esther, Martha and Electa as well as a triangle which symbolizes God’s presence in all things.
Both Masonry and the Order of the Eastern Star promote love for God and one another as well as charity work to give back to their community. They also share some common goals like helping their members lead better lives through service and fellowship with one another.
However, there are still some key differences between them including membership eligibility requirements, rituals practiced by each organization, and symbols associated with each group.
Joining a Masonic Lodge or Order of the Eastern Star
Joining a Masonic Lodge or Order of the Eastern Star can be a rewarding experience, but before doing so there are a few things you should know. Here are some key points to consider:
- The purpose and principles of these organizations: The mission of Masonic Lodges and Orders of the Eastern Star is to promote moral and spiritual guidance, as well as charity and community service.
- The rituals and ceremonies involved: The rituals and ceremonies involved in joining these organizations vary depending on the specific order, but typically involve symbolic gestures such as handshakes, oaths, and recitation of creeds.
- The costs associated with membership: There may be fees associated with membership in these organizations, but they are typically reasonable. Fees usually help cover the cost of materials used in rituals and ceremonies.
- Your commitment to the organization: When joining one of these organizations it is important to understand that you are committing yourself to upholding their principles and participating in their activities.
Before deciding to join either a Masonic Lodge or Order of the Eastern Star it is important to do your research. Learn about what they stand for, read up on their rituals and ceremonies, understand any associated costs, and make sure you can commit yourself to upholding their values. With an informed understanding you will be able to make an informed decision if joining either organization is right for you.
The Cost of Becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star Member
Becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star member can come at a cost. The cost to join varies from lodge to lodge, but typically includes the initiation fee and dues.
• Initiation fees typically range from $25 to $300, depending on the lodge and its location.
• Dues are usually between $30-50 per year, and may vary depending on the type of membership. Some lodges also require additional fees for special events or activities.
• The cost of joining does not include any additional expenses associated with being a member, such as travel costs for attending meetings or events, or buying official regalia and accessories.
• It is important to note that some lodges may offer discounts for certain memberships, such as military personnel, first responders and senior citizens.
• In addition to the cost of joining, most lodges also have mandatory annual dues that must be paid in order to remain an active member in good standing.
Becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star member is not just about paying dues – it is about becoming part of a brotherhood/sisterhood that is dedicated to developing personal character and upholding the principles of Freemasonry/Eastern Starrydom: friendship, morality and brotherly love. The cost to join is just one small part of this process.
The Benefits of Being A Mason or an Eastern Star Member
Masonry and the Order of the Eastern Star are two fraternal organizations that offer a variety of benefits to their members. Joining a Masonic lodge or an Order of the Eastern Star chapter can be a great way to form lasting connections and build relationships with like-minded individuals. Here are some of the benefits that come with being a Mason or an Eastern Star member:
• Growing Network: Becoming a part of these fraternal organizations gives you access to a vast network of people. This can be incredibly beneficial for professionals, as it allows them to build relationships and get help from other members. It also provides great opportunities for networking, which can lead to potential job opportunities.
• Charitable Work: Masons and Order of the Eastern Star members are encouraged to take part in charitable activities, such as food drives, blood drives, and other initiatives that help those in need. Through their involvement, members can make a difference in their communities and have a positive impact on those around them.
• Leadership Opportunities: Becoming part of these organizations provides members with leadership experience that can be invaluable in their personal lives, careers, and even politics. Masonry and the Order of the Eastern Star offer many opportunities for leadership roles within each organization such as Worshipful Master or Worthy Matron, which can give you the confidence needed to tackle more challenging tasks down the line.
• Social Events: Fraternal organizations host several social events where members can interact with one another in a comfortable atmosphere. These events provide great chances to make new friends, strengthen existing relationships, and learn more about each other’s backgrounds and interests.
• Financial Assistance: Masons and Order of the Eastern Star members have access to financial assistance if they find themselves in difficult situations or need help paying medical bills or tuition costs. This benefit is especially beneficial for students who may not have access to any other financial aid resources.
Overall, being part of either organization comes with many benefits that extend beyond just being part of an exclusive club – it’s about creating meaningful relationships with others who share your values while also giving back to your community through charitable work and leadership opportunities.
Preparing for Initiation
Preparing for initiation into a Masonic lodge or Order of the Eastern Star is an exciting yet important process. It is important to understand the history and traditions of the organization, as well as any requirements you must meet in order to join. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Research the organization you are joining. Learn about its history, philosophy, and values.
- Understand the rules and regulations of the organization.
- Make sure you meet all requirements for initiation such as age, gender, and other qualifications.
- Complete any paperwork or applications required by the organization.
- Dress appropriately for your initiation ceremony. Most organizations require formal dress for initiations.
- Practice the ceremony beforehand if possible so that you are familiar with it on the day of your initiation.
It is also important to be aware of any fees associated with joining a Masonic lodge or Order of the Eastern Star. These fees may include membership dues or costs associated with taking part in activities or events hosted by the organization.
Ultimately, preparation for initiation into a Masonic lodge or Order of the Eastern Star should involve thoughtful consideration and research into what it means to join this type of organization. It is important to understand all that is expected from you as a member so that you can make an informed decision about joining and be prepared for your initiation ceremony accordingly.
In Reflection on How Do You Become A Mason Or Eastern Star
Becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star is a rewarding and enriching experience. The process of joining one of these organizations requires dedication and commitment from the potential member. From completing the necessary paperwork to attending meetings and functions, the process can take some time but is ultimately worth it.
The commitment to becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star includes being loyal to the organization, providing service to others, and having a desire to be part of something larger than yourself. The journey towards full membership can be challenging but also incredibly rewarding.
It is important to understand that becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star requires more than just completing an application form. Potential members are expected to exhibit qualities such as integrity, trustworthiness, and loyalty in order to become accepted into these organizations.
As you can see, there are many steps involved in becoming a Mason or an Eastern Star. It requires dedication and commitment from potential members in order for them to become full members of these organizations. The journey may be challenging at times but it is ultimately very rewarding.